I recently read a quote that truly touched my soul. It said “Your kids don’t want a perfect mom, they want a happy one”. It was as if fate had been looking into my deepest thoughts and put on the screen exactly what I needed to hear. I am the first to admit that I have struggled with depression and anxiety for many years and having a child doesn’t make that go away. Although my child is one of my greatest joys, it also comes with depression or the added anxiety of “am I doing everything I can to give her the best of everything?” And sometimes I get wrapped up in a little slump and forget that she doesn’t care weather or not every day is Instagram perfect, she just wants to be with a happy momma. I find myself looking for permission to be a regular human and take naps when I feel sick or take a long shower. I have to be reminded by those around me that I am a human and I need to take care of myself! So here is my low cost, effective list of self-care ideas that you can do at home!
1. Have a cup of coffee by yourself.
2. Do your hair or makeup! I sometimes dread doing my hair and make up, but darn it if I don’t feel at least 50% better about myself when I’m done!
3. Watch a guilty pleasure TV show that only you love. (Mine is Grey’s Anatomy, Ru Paul’s Drag Race, Queer Eye, or Brooklyn nine nine.)
4. Light a candle and do some fake online shopping. Watch out Amazon Prime!
5. Plan a trip for the future. I’m planning a trip to Disney! Stay tuned for more updates on that!
6. Make a craft
7. Listen to music. I feel like people don’t listen to music like they used to! I have turned my love of my record player into a family hobby!
8. Organize your planner. I myself LIVE to put stickers in my planner.
9. Create your dream Pinterest board. Mine is full of home improvement ideas!
10. Update yourself on pop culture or conspiracy theories. Is anyone else as interested in the illuminati as me? Lol
11. Write in a journal
12. Take a looonnnnng shower. Like the kind where you come out smooth as a baby dolphin.
13. Take a nap
14. Do a facemask
15. Eat your favorite snack alone. Even if that means locking yourself in the bathroom.
So remember you can’t pour from an empty cup. Do something small for yourself every day to ensure that you continue to be the best version of you that you can be!
Don’t forget to follow our perfectly imperfect lives on instagram @momminallovertheworld